Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Rear End Upgrade

Upgraded rear suspension
Back in November of last year I wrote about the proposed battery locations and extra load expected on the rear axle.  Once I finalized those proposed locations, I ordered new springs from Springworks to accommodate the extra weight.  Over the winter I swapped them out.  No use putting old struts inside the new springs, so I changed them as well, even though I had no idea if they had been replaced before.  The changeover was a breeze - I was able to use a real (wall-mount) strut compressor at a friend's shop.

Here's a picture of the old strut assemblies with one of the new springs.  Notice the new spring is variable rate.  I'm not sure if it will make a difference in the ride or not, but my recollection is that it wasn't any more expensive.

Here's a picture of the new strut assemblies.  The strut mounts actually looked ok, so I didn't end up replacing them.

Since I had the rear suspension off, I also replaced the broken sway bar link on the driver side.  Here are pictures of the broken link and replaced links.

The car hasn't been on the ground yet since the swap-over.  It'll be interesting to see how level the car sits once the batteries are installed.

No comments:

Post a Comment