Monday, June 14, 2010

I haven't updated this in a while, I guess.  Again.  Been busy.  Again.  I had to take a few weeks off from working on the car for my daughter's high school graduation, my son's confirmation, and getting the house ready for the inevitable blow-out party.  Then, I've had a series of setbacks trying to install components in the engine compartment.  But I may have made some progress this weekend, and I have a little time to write an update.

Vacuum System for Power Brakes:
My plan was to put the vacuum reservoir behind and under the DMOC, and above the drive axle.  Like this (see the black pipe bomb {kidding!} next to the motor?).

However, I forgot that the DMOC is mounted on rubber bushings and my original bracket for the reservoir interfered with that.  So I had to extend the bracket a bit so the reservoir hangs a little lower.  It still clears the driveaxle but I'm not sure about the steering.  We'll see.  Here's a picture of the reservoir with the little extenders on the pipe clamps.

As for the vacuum pump, I came up with a kind of wacky place to put it.  I hope I don't pay for this later.  As far as I could research the pump will work in any orientation, so I put it upright next to the brake booster.  Here's the pump installed (boy, it sure is hard to see black on black, isn't it?).

Water Heater for Cabin Climate Control:
Just above the vacuum system is the water heater.  There's not much space around the heater core fittings, so I had to be a little creative with heater hose.  I bought a couple of molded hoses with hard 90 degree bends and cut them to make the tough initial bend coming out of the heater core.  Once those bends were made, it was pretty easy to plumb into the heater, changing the return line from 5/8" to 3/4".

 Heater core fittings:

Hoses running from heater to heater core:

Next, can it be that I'm finally ready to install the main battery boxes???

No comments:

Post a Comment